I have told my story to only a handfull of people. Every time I tell my story, there is always the fear of the individuals reactions. While I haven’t had any major blow ups, complete condemnations, or long term ostracizing, I have still heard plenty of dumb responses from many Christians. So here is a short list of MY experiences of people’s response or just comments on homosexuality in general.
1. Maybe God gave you the gift of celibacy?
2. Can I pray for you? (… and proceed to try to cast a demon out of me.)
3. You know, you don’t really need to be attracted to girls… just find one girl you are attracted to.
4. Are you attracted to girls at all? (a.k.a. is there any hope that you aren’t gay?)
5. Well, your attraction is still there so clearly you must not be doing the right thing.
6. I heard that God has healed others, maybe you just need to pray more.
7. All gay people choose to be attracted to and act out with the same sex; they can all burn in hell for all I care.